Committees

Programs

Tours

Annual Dinner

Trail of History

The Trail of History is a self-guided walking tour of some of the sites that figured prominently in the history and development of Upper Moreland and Willow Grove. Brochures are available for free from the UMHA or the Parks and Recreation Department.

Too much effort to walk around town? The Trail of History featuring the art of Joe Thomas is now available online! Both versions will open in a new window.

Having trouble viewing the presentation? Make sure you have the Adobe Flash Player installed on your computer (it's a free, safe download).

Walking Tours

Mineral Springs Hotel & War Memorial Park

Walk Duration: 1 Hour; Distance: 3/4 Mile;
Surface: Paved; Grade: None.

Tour the sites of George Rex's Mineral Springs Hotel resort (1803), later to become the centerpiece of the Ehrenpfort Amusement Park, as well as other sites along Round Meadow Run. This entire area was at one time a sphagnum swamp. It became the original crossroads of York Road to New Hope and New York and the Doylestown Turnpike as well as the junction point of connecting roads to local mills.

Downtown Willow Grove & Frazier's Hill

Walk Duration: 1 Hour; Distance: 3/4 Mile;
Surface: Paved; Grade: a part is Steep Downhill

This tour begins atop the highest elevation in Eastern Montgomery County, Frazier's Hill, where the first U. S. Geodetic Survey took place in 1839. The Tour descends from this high point to Davisville Road and the site of the first school and other landmarks important in the development of the town. Included are the sites of the old post office, the Fountain House Inn, the first fire house, stores and shops, a scythe factory and other items of historic interest.

Masons Mill Park & The Pennypack Creek

Walk Duration: 1 1/2 Hours; Distance: 1 Mile;
Surface: Gravel; Grade: Slight

This tour gives an excellent look at the natural environment along the Pennypack Creek that provided the power resources for several mills in the area. The tour investigates what little remains of one of the largest and oldest mills, Masons Mill, first built in 1762 by the Lloyd Family.

Tour Brochures

To view a .PDF of some of our past tours see below:

Bus Tour #1 (16.1 KB) - click here
Hatboro Walking Tour (30 KB) - click here
Pennypack Creek Grist Mill Tour (15.9 KB) - click here
Willow Grove Walking Tour (34 KB) - click here